Course Objectives: This 12-week long course is for scientists wanting to learn basic bioinformatics skills. Material will be taught at a beginner to intermediate level. There are no pre-requisites. Learners will: Learn
This 12-week long course is for scientists wanting to learn basic bioinformatics skills. Material will be taught at a beginner to intermediate level. There are no pre-requisites.
- Learn Unix skills to download, decompress and work with sequence data
- Work with different file formats commonly found in bioinformatics (fasta, fastq, sam, bam, genbank)
- Navigate around a Unix file system and understand file paths and directory structure
- Log into and learn about the NIH High Performance Unix cluster Biowulf
- Understand the concepts behind bulk RNA-Seq data analyses
- Assay sequence data for quality and trim adapters
- Map sequences to a genome with both alignment and classification based methods
- Generate differential expression data and create heatmaps
- Learn about gene ontology (GO) and cellular pathway analysis
Class materials: https://btep.ccr.cancer.gov/docs/b4b/
There are no prerequisites to take this course. It’s open to CCR scientists wanting to learn basic bioinformatics skills, including working in a Unix environment and analyzing RNA-Seq data. To participate in this course, you will need a computer, a reliable internet connection, and a web browser. All classes and help sessions will be held virtually through Webex. In addition, this class will be taught with the GOLD learning environment on the DNAnexus platform.
To participate in the class, you need to:
- Create a DNAnexus account. Make a note of your login id and password. You will need this every day for class.
- Fill out the registration survey (you will need your DNAnexus login id) https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LWXPTKF
All Classes will use this WebEx meeting information:
- Meeting link:
- 2311 744 8253
- Join by video system
Dial firstname.lastname@example.orgYou can also dial 220.127.116.11 and enter your meeting number.
- Join by phone
1-650-479-3207 Call-in number (US/Canada)Access code: 2311 744 8253
Register HereRegister Here
September 27 (Tuesday) 1:00 pm - December 15 (Thursday) 2:00 pm
BTEPBioinformatics Training and Education Program, CCR, NCIncibtep@nih.gov