Overview Python is one of the preferred programming languages for scientists to solve a wide variety of biological problems. We find that many scientists who come to Software Carpentry workshops use
Python is one of the preferred programming languages for scientists to solve a wide variety of biological problems. We find that many scientists who come to Software Carpentry workshops use Python and want to learn more about its capabilities.
If you are a novice and want to learn how to program in Python to help you in your work, please join our six-week series of two-hour workshops! Instructors will use live code and you will follow along on your own computer. You will gain a strong foundation in the fundamentals of Python along with best practices for scientific computing: breaking down analyses into modular units, task automation, and encapsulation.
NOTE: This is a six-part course, held weekly for 6 weeks from 11 am – 1 pm, with a 20-minute lunch break. When you register, you are registering for all 6 weeks. Please make sure you have time in your schedule to commit to all six sessions!
Registration is required. Register at this link. Sign-in information for the Workshops will be provided once registered.
- Week 1, May 10, 2022, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. ET: Introduction to Python & Colab, Running & Quitting, Variables & Assignment
- NOTE: A one-hour help session will be offered on May 13, 2022, 11 a.m. – 12 p.m. ET: Getting Started with Google Colab
- Week 2, May 17, 2022, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. ET: Data Types and Type Conversion, Built-in Functions & Help Libraries
- Week 3, May 24, 2022, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. ET: Reading Tabular Data into DataFrames, Pandas DataFrames, Plotting 1
- Week 4, May 31, 2022, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. ET: Plotting 2, Lists, For Loops
- Week 5, June 7, 2022, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. ET: Conditionals, Looping Over Data Sets, Writing Functions
- Week 6, June 14, 2022, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. ET: Variable Scope, Programming Style, Wrap-Up
Workshop Recordings and Materials:
- Recordings and Files: https://github.com/CBIIT/python-carpentry-workshop. This page contains last year’s material as well.
- Software Carpentry Lesson: Plotting and programming with Python
- Workshop Webpage at the NCI Data Science Learning Exchange: Introduction to Python A Series of Hands-on Software Carpentry Workshops (2022)
Before the workshop: We will use Google Colab for this workshop. Colab allows us to write and execute Python code through the browser. A Google Account is required for using Colab. If you do not have one, please create a Google Account before the workshop. For technical assistance, contact NCI technical support at https://service.cancer.gov/ncisp.
Questions? Contact the NCI Data Science Learning Exchange
(Tuesday) 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
NCI Data Science Learning Exchangencidatasciencelearningexchange@mail.nih.gov